Thursday, March 12, 2015

My Version of Bourbon Chicken with Brown Rice





        This is my version of Bourbon Chicken which I have been wanting to make for years, but since I'm not a big fan of bourbon, whiskey, brandy, etc,. I never wanted to buy the alcohol just to make it. But I finally broke down and bought some so I could make it. I know normally it's all chicken, but I like to cook as healthy as I can and having all chicken isn't high on the health meter, so I added in veggies. So without further ado, here we go:


Bourbon Chicken My Way with Brown Rice




Ingredient list:

        24oz Cubed Chicken (you can use boneless skinless breasts or whatever you have on hand)
        1-2 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
        1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
        4 Large Carrots angle cut about 1/4" thick
        1 Large Sweet or Red Onion quartered and sliced
        1 Each Large Red, Green, Orange and Yellow Pepper 1-1 1/4" cubed
        4 Green Onions cut into fourths
        1 Can Chunk Pineapple drained
        Salt and Pepper to taste
        6 Cups of prepared White or Brown Rice (optional)

Sauce:

        1/2 C Water
        1 1/4 C Apple Juice
        6 Tbs Low Sodium Soy Sauce
        1/2 Tbs Sesame Oil
        2 Tbs Hoisin Sauce
        1tsp Minced Garlic
        1 tsp Ginger Spice Blend (it comes in a tube at Walmart in the produce section)
        1/4 C Brown Sugar packed
        2 Tbs Soy Sauce
        4 Tbs Southern Comfort
        2 Tbs Cornstarch

        Get all your ingredients cut up and ready to go because it cooks quick and you want to add the veggies in order of how long they take to cook. In a bowl mix all of the ingredients for the sauce and let it set until you are ready to add it to the pan.

        Heat up your pan on medium to medium high heat and add in 1/2 - 1 Tbs of your EVOO. Once pan is heated but before it starts smoking add in your carrots. Add in a little salt and pepper and toss them around until they start to brown a bit. Once browned add in your onion and red pepper flakes. I like to add in a little salt and pepper, not much, to each layer that I add. If you add in your salt a little at a time as you layer your cooking it doesn't take as much salt to flavor your food. Of course using spices rather than a bunch of salt helps as well to keep the food tasty but with less sodium. Just when onions start to turn slightly clear but still crunchy add in your red, green, orange and yellow peppers. Once they start to sweat add in your green onion and cook for just a minute or two and then remove from heat and place your veggie mixture in a bowl.

        Next, in the same pan, you are going to turn the heat up to a little higher temp. and add in the rest of your EVOO. As soon as your pan gets hot and starts to smoke slightly add in your chicken. Cook your chicken while stirring every 2 min. or so, so it doesn't burn but does brown a little. Cook it for a few minutes then add in another layer of salt and pepper to taste. Adding in salt after it has seared a little on the outside helps keep from a lot of juice escaping and keeping your chicken from browning. Just when chicken is just about done, pull it off of the stove and place it as well in a different bowl, set aside.

        Now for the sauce. Lower the heat on your pan back down to medium high to medium heat depending on your stove and add your sauce mix to the pan. Let this reduce and thicken for a few minutes and then place in your drained pineapple chunks. Cook pineapple for a couple of minutes and then add your chicken back in stirring it well and combining the chicken juices in the sauce. Once your chicken has reheated then add  your veggies and stir well also incorporating those juices into your sauce as well. As soon as it's all heated thoroughly it's done.




        I served this over brown rice but you can have it over noodles, white rice, brown rice, etc,. or just plain as I usually do because I'm not a big fan of rice. To me the texture is monotonous, but that's just me. So I usually get Chinese and give my rice to my husband. lol I did have this over the brown rice and it was really good. The larger chunks of chicken and veggies helped. :)

        Also remember that I have a rather large family, so my recipes are for 6 or more people. So if you are cooking for two, etc,. you can very the recipe.

        Again, please let me know if you make this recipe and what you think of it. I make it all up as I go along and again I know my family likes it, but I would love to hear from you and hear how your family liked it. I've been seriously thinking of creating a cook book, so any feedback at all would be helpful in making my decision as to whether or not to write one.

        Share your favorite recipes with us if you like, or if you added in your own tweeks to my recipe, I would love to hear that as well. :) Again, I truly value your comments and look forward to hearing from you!!

        Huge Hugs to All!!
        Jewel S. ;o)










No comments: