Friday, February 13, 2015

My Classic Meatloaf

        As most of you know by now, I don't use recipes when I cook. I just make it up as I go along. But my children are getting older and they want my recipes. So over the past few months I've been trying to put together my recipes from my head as I cook, which is difficult because like I said I'm always just winging it when I cook. lol So tonight I made meatloaf and wrote it down as I went along adding ingredients. I just hope my children realize how much longer it takes to make dinner when you have to think about everything you're doing rather than just throwing it together. I'm hoping though that by the time they get out on their own or get married, etc,. I will have compiled enough recipes for them to get them started.

        Everyone should know how to cook even if you don't do it very often. To me it's like art and I love creating delicious works of art. I have taught a few how to cook over my years and from the beginning pointers I gave them they flourished trying new things and different spices. There are no rules when it comes to cooking, especially when it comes from the heart. So don't be afraid to veer off of the by the book recipe path and add some pizzazz here and there.

        I started cooking at a very young age for my brothers as well as myself, around 5th grade. I have never used recipes, I'd just add things together and hope they tasted good. And if it didn't I would tweak it next time til I got just right. As far as learning how to season, I would just smell the spice or seasoning and if it smelled like I wanted it to taste or like it would go with what I was making, then in the pot it went. It's just about trial and error. So don't be shy about cooking or trying something new. The more you do it the better you'll get and the more you'll learn just like everything else in life.

        So without further ado, here is how I make my classic meatloaf.




        Prep Time: Approx. 15 minutes 
        Cook Time: Approx. 35 minutes 


        Preheat convection oven on Meats setting to 375 and spray a 3qt. rectangular baking dish with nonstick spray for easy cleanup later. If using a regular oven I believe it would be more like 400 degrees for the same length of time, but do check it after 25 minutes or so to make sure you don't over cook it.

        Serves 8

        Ingredients:

        2lbs Lean Ground Chuck
        1/2 Medium Sweet Vadalia Onion small diced
        2lg Eggs beaten
        3/4C Ketchup for mixing in loaf
        3/4C Ketchup for layering on top
        2tsp Spicy Brown Mustard
        1tsp Worcestershire Sauce
        1/2tsp Minced Garlic
        1/2tsp Kosher Salt or to taste
        1/4tsp Red Pepper Flake
        1/4tsp Seasoned Meat Tenderizer 
        1/4tsp Dried Dill
        1/4tsp Dried Oregano 
        1/4tsp Canadian or Montreal Steak Seasoning
        1/8tsp Dried Thyme
        1/8tsp Dried Tarragon 
        Fresh Ground Pepper to taste
        6 Slices of Bread cut to 1" cubes

        Put all ingredients in a large mixing bowl minus bread and the second 3/4C ketchup and mix with hands. Once thoroughly mixed add in the bread cubes and mix lightly again making sure you are leaving the diced bread whole. Pat down into a loaf in your glass baking dish making sure to push down and round out the sides away from the sides if the dish slightly so the edges don't burn. Place in oven for 30 minutes or til done. Since all ovens cook differently I would start checking it around 20-25 minutes in so you don't burn it. Once done, spread out the remaining 3/4C ketchup on top with a tablespoon and then bake for an additional 5 minutes.

        Now for the calorie count and other nutritional info in case you need it.

        209 Calories 
        6.9g Fat
        1g Sat. Fat
        0g Trans Fat
        75mg Cholesterol 
        805mg Sodium 
        25g Carbohydrates 
        1g Fiber
        14g Sugar
        11g Protein 
        5.8% Vitamin A
        7.2% Vitamin C
        8.5% Calcium 
        8.8% Iron

        Let me know if you make it and what you think. I know my family loves it and I hope yours does too. And again, if there is anything in particular that you would like for me to post my recipe for, please do not hesitate to ask. I love sharing with my friends, Internet or otherwise. I will try to post more recipes soon, so make sure you subscribe to my blog so you don't miss any. As usual Huge Hugs and Blessings to You All!!

        All For You!
        Jewel S. ;o)
        




No comments: